I make some test shots with my Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 and Pentax A 50mm f/2.8 1:2 Macro using the 2x Macro Teleplus adapter from Kenko. The results are not as dramatic as some posting I see from others on actual macro lens such as Tamron MF 90mm f/2.8, but the adapter works reasonably good in converting a normal fast prime to better closeup and 1:1 macro. And I find the Tele in 2x not as shabby as I originally thought.
My impressions with the Kenko 2x Macro Teleplus adapter with FA 50 f/1.4 is positive though I find vignetting and severe CA in wide open apertures when I used it with FA 50 f/1.4. But overall, the adapter brings my beloved 50mm prime up a notch for fun. All six images are shot with the adapter and FA 50 f/1.4 in iso 100/200/400 with aperture ranging from 7.1 to 11. It is very windy in harsh lighting around 3 when I took a coffee break with no coffee.
I have not gone through many uses with the 2x tele, but the casual shots using adapter in 2x tele mode seems pleasant surprise in extending my 50mm to 100mm
- Adapter has markings with white and green colors. On one end is the 1:1 magnification and the other end marks 0.45m and infinity.
- I turn adapter to extend to the fullest going to the 1:1 magnification marking
- I manually focus lens on infinity
- Using trap focus, I aim at object in about half a feet and moving in and out from the focal point to obtain focus. A tripod and a rail system will help on the focusing part.
Tele 2x usage:
- I turn the adapter to retract to the 0.45m/infinity marking
- manual focus as usual
Initial impressions & notes:
- Adapter looks very similar to Vivitar 2x Macro adapter with the full electrical contacts with wording for "P/K-A R-P/K". My adapter does not have marking for 'Kenko' but I assume it is made by Kenko as the 'Teleplus' wording seems to go with Keno teleconverter adapter
- Wording on adapter: KAX 2x Macro Teleplus MC7
- Serial number: 9001098
- My adapter has all the electrical contacts for metering and trap focus. Once mounted with FA 50 f/1.4, I can use Av mode without problems.
- Some CA is noted in wide open aperture
- Vignetting is seen also in wide open aperture
- Adapter adds fun factor to a normal good 50mm prime. It works well with my FA 50 f/1.4 bring it closer to a macro lens
- The fun factor is interesting in using my 50mm as a 100mm though the f/stop loss
- Recommended as adapter to get a decent 50mm to 1:1 macro. The 2x tele comes as an added charm but mainly the Macro 1:1 is the key for the adapter. It works in turning 50mm to a 1:1 macro and with a turn, the 50mm acts as a 100mm.