I do have bunch of photos made at 200mm and 50mm which I find acceptable. Anyway, maybe I am not trained with the experience to see the edge problems as noted in the review.
At 50 mm
Mosaic on Portraits
Though it is slower lens wide open at f/4.0, I find Pentax DA 50-200 very versatile in taking indoor pictures for my kids. It has good color, sharpness, and bokeh for me. And best of all, it is light and I can frame my shot at ease from a farther distance observing my kids without interruption to their fun activity acting out at an any unplanned moment in the day. The above series are totally unplanned in a Sunday afternoon when my two boys have a great laugh in drinking their water. I am yet to look for an external flash to work on indoor portraits.
I love my Pentax DA 50-200, I use it the most among the combo lens with DA 18-55 and the recent purchase of FA 50 f/1.4 and Takumar 28-80 Macro. If I can get an external flash to assist in indoor pictures, it will be a great addition for my kids' pictures for both indoor and outdoor.
Mosaic on hiking
Impressions & Notes:
- Lens is extremely lightweight and it is my go to lens when I want to travel light
- Lens is ideal for hiking use
- Lens focal range very versatile especially on portraits and street shooting with emphasis on long end
- I find softness in 50mm more so than the longer end
- AF seems reasonable though AF hunts in indoor. Lens not suited to dim light for indoor shooting.
- Focus ring is right in front similar to kit's lens and I find manual focusing quite alright with this lens
- Close focusing is good on this lens and I see others with good results with Raynox 250/150.
- Photozone.de Review on Pentax DA 50-200 (negative)
- Photo.net review on Pentax DA 50-200 (positive)
- dpreview Pentax SLR discussion (with debate)
- Morning with Pentax DA 18-55
- Color from Pentax DA 50-200
- Indoor Portraits with DA 50-200
- Flash thoughts after FA 50 f/1.4
- Chasing My Boy with DA 50-200
- Yahoo Camp 2007
- Pentax Portrait Lens
- Pentax FA 50 f/1.4 Test Shots
- 2nd copy of FA 50 f/1.4
- Thoughts on Pentax DA 18-55
- Inexpensive Pentax Gear
- Hin's Camera Gear