I sold this Pentax zoom a little while ago to a forum friend of mine. I only managed to borrow it from buyer for an extra day of test shots before shipping. The focal range appeals to me as it is close to Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8.
In the short time that I used it, I kept thinking of the Pentax DA 50-200mm f/4.5-5.6 or the Pentax FA 28-105mm f/3.2-4.5. While this zoom is faster than the DA zoom, its performance is not as good as the DA zoom for walk around purpose. For one, it is heavy and AF seems slower in this lens. I have used cheaper power zoom as in Pentax FA 28-80mm f/3.5-4.7 and I like the performance of power zoom over this lens. The minimum focusing distance is longer than I get used to, I recall closer to 7 feet making it not ideal for walk around. The close up is in the far end in 135mm end that allow close up to flowers.
Impressions & Notes
- Overall not a bad zoom to have but there are better zooms that are lighter for walk around purpose
- Size is small but it is heavier than walk around alternatives
- Close up quite reasonable for flowers in the 135mm end
- AF hunts in indoor setting
- Pentax DA 50-200 f/4.0-5.6
- Pentax SMC FA 28-105 f/3.2-4.5
- Pentax SMC FA 28-80 f/3.5-4.7 Power Zoom
- Tamron SP 28-135mm f/4.0-4.5 Adaptall-2 28A
- Hin's Camera Gear