Filter size: 67mm
Lens Hood: 45FH
Lens Hood: 45FH
Close up 1:10 to 1:4
This is the adptall-2 lens that I bought trying to find lens that is close to the focal range of Pentax DA* 50-135mm. Of course, it is not as fast as the DA* zoom but it has a focal range that appeals to me as a good walk around lens with 1:4 close up at 28mm end. Like other two SP adaptall-2 lens, the build and construction quickly appeal to me as adaptall-2 lens are built to last with metal construction. It is a bit heavier but I quickly adapt to its weight. This zoom better fits walk around category due to the presence of focal range from 28mm to 50mm. I like the extended range on the wider end. I only managed to test it once with a Friday coffee with my sweetie. I am missing a lens hood and I am not sure if the absence of lens hood adds flare to the result pictures lowering the contrast. I have ordered a 67mm 3 stage lens hood and I will retests the lens. The 1:4 close up is nice to have in the zoom but it only goes to 1:4 in the 28mm end. One drawback immediately noted is the minimum focusing distance is too big for me, it is about 6 feet when not in close up range. The close up is marked with 1:10 to 1:4 engaged with two separate rings on the barrel in the 3rd picture above.
1/60 sec, f/6.3, 65mm, iso 200, 0 Ev
1/80 sec, f/6.3, 45mm, iso 100, +0.3 Ev
Impressions & Notes
- A bit on the heavy side with weight about 710g
- Build is quite nice with all metal construction. No zoom creep found.
- I find great liking on 1-touch zoom design in Adaptall-2 lens which work great for manual focusing
- Focus throw in this 28A is quite short as compared to 19AH, but adequate and quick focusing can be achieved.
- Nice range in 28mm to 135mm and I like this range a lot for walk around purpose
- Minimum focusing distance in non-macro range is too large at about 6 feet.
- Close up is from 1:10 to 1:4 engaged with 2 sided close up ring
- Sharpness is reasonable when tested in f/5.6. Contrast seems low and I am yet to test again with the addition of a lens hood
- BBAR MC coating should help with flare, but I am yet to confirm in more test with the lens
- Official adaptall-2 on 28A
- Hiking with Tamron SP 28-135mm f/4.0-4.5 adaptall-2 28AH
- Pentax F 35-135mm f/3.5-4.5
- Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8
- Pentax DA 50-200mm f/4.0-5.6
- Vivitar 70-150mm f/3.8 from Kiron
- Tamron SP 90mm f/2.5 1:2 macro adaptall-2 52BB
- Tamron SP 70-210mm f/3.5 adaptall-2 19AH
- Tamron Adaptall-2 P/KA Adapter
- Hin's Camera Gear