1/500 sec, f/6.3, 300mm, iso 500, 0 Ev, SR OFF
1/800 sec, f/6.3, 300mm, iso 500, 0 Ev, SR OFF
1/1000 sec, f/6.3, 300mm, iso 500, 0 Ev, SR ON
1/1000 sec, f/6.3, 300mm, iso 500, 0 Ev, SR OFF
1/1250 sec, f/6.3, 300mm, iso 500, 0 Ev, SR OFF
I bought my most expensive used lens with Pentax F* 300mm f/4.5 with the desired intention for the capturing humming birds in a photo. I love shooting humming birds and it demands the best from my concentration, patience, and luck. They are so small and tiny and they disappear in a split of a second in my viewfinder and reappear when I am about to give up.
It is much easier to wait for them in a bird feeder with exact location when they will show up frequently. With flowers, they can dance between spots and it is next to impossible to guess where they are heading. The best moment is catch them when they are about to stay still for a moment in getting their food from the flower. Unlike a humming bird feeder, they seldom stay still with the flowers.
Impressions & Notes
- The series of photos with humming bird makes the lens purchase all worthwhile for the money spent.
- Color and sharpness is amazing from this old prime of Pentax
- I still need to crop the photo a bit to see the bird in detail
- Again, I used AF.C with center focus. I have not used auto select focal point due to a few failed attempts before, I am not sure if neighboring branches will be interpreted wrong by the AF system when I pan the little bird on its movement. I should give that a try.
- With 1/1000 sec, I turned off SR almost completely and it seems to do well for me
- The AF from this lens make the shooting much easier than my previous attempt with Photosniper Tair-3 PhS 300mm f/4.5 (m42) on Humming Birds
- The first AF confirmation around the head of the humming bird is critical to the AF.C. In order to freeze the wing movement, shutter need higher and closer to 1/1000 sec.
- Pentax F* 300mm f/4.5 Initial Test Shots
- Pentax F* 300mm f/4.5 On BIF Practice
- Pentax F* 300mm f/4.5 On Terns
- Photosniper Tair-3 PhS 300mm f/4.5
- Photosniper Tair-3 PhS 300mm f/4.5 (m42) on Humming Birds
- Pentax-F 1.7x AF TC
- Tamron Pz-AF 1.4x AF TC
- Pentax 300mm f/4.0
- Search of 400mm prime in Pentax
- Hin's Camera Gear