Tamron-F AF Teleconverter
1.4x Pz-AF MC4Out of 2 month of searching everywhere, I finally found this item sold by another Pentaxian as an used item. This item has been out of production from Tamron and it is a rare item that doesn't show up frequently in eBay and local store. In a way, I take that as real luck on my part in getting this item.
Here are some tele shots taken mostly at 300mm (or 420mm) using the adapter with my Tamron 70-300mm Di LD Macro.
Impressions & Notes:
- AF stays on and it is utmost important to me in shooting tele-shot as I need all the help that I can get in focusing.
- Test shots don't reveal big loss of light and picture quality
- PF/CA happens more frequently with Tamron 70-300 Di LD Macro
- With adapter, my Tamron long end comes out reasonably sharp in 420mm. I would expect better sharpness with a tripod. The PF/CA is bummer and I see more at f/8.0 and f/11.0 in the test shots.
- Physical noise from auto focusing can be pronounced. Once focused around target, noise and speed in auto-focusing is not an issue.
- Relatively inexpensive way to get to 420mm in good lighting
- An overall satisfactory purchase, a definite keeper and an highly recommended item from me
- More information can be found in this long discussion in Tamron 1.4x TC converter pictures
- Another similar choice is Kenko 1.5x with auto focus that is about half the price of the Tamron. I hear mix reports with some user complaining on inability to autofocus.
- AutoFocus is key with the Tele especially to catch up with birds movement that need fast action. As much as I love manual focus, I need as much help as I can get from the gear in shooting birds in flight.
- My version has 7 electrical contacts and 2 inside contacts for the SDM. It has the MC4 in the model.