I told a couple of my Pentaxians friends who discussed vividly on my choice of getting both FA 77mm limited while getting DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 zoom. I told them that the two lens are totally different and I can assure you that I will keep both longer than my other lens. I have not used my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 yet. I bought way too many good lens again. But this round, my purchase pattern shows a significant differenece as I snap up the good pricey lens in the used market when many are dumping the good lens for another brand or the economic down turn. All test shots are done hand-held, many are in f/1.8 wide open in iso 200 and iso 400, some in iso 800 with Pentax K20D, and yes, I snap up a used K20D too.
Impressions & Notes:Related:
- I have gotten three Pentax limited lens in 21mm f/3.2, 31mm f/1.8 and this 77mm f/1.8 and I found this limited lens the most valuable.
- Great portrait lens for my family who deserve the best from me and my gear.
- Superb color, bokeh and great in sharpness
- Some PF noted but moderate
- Great for indoor shooting
- As good as for night time shooting as my FA 50 f/1.4
- Though not as small as Pentax DA 21mm f/3.2 limited or DA 70mm f/2.4, the 77mm is still very small in size and compact for traveling
- I don't see this lens as a duplicate for DA* 50-135 as the lens are very different. I will always bring my 77mm for portrait.
- The same argument goes with Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 but I see prime as the best for the fixed focal length while the zoom can serve better purpose for flexibility in the focal range. In terms of night shooting, the FA 77mm f/1.8 will win over both zoom lens in Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and DA* 50-135.
- Expensive to get but I have no regret for this lens. Well worth the money!
- Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 limited Insanely Good with K-x
- Pentax DA 70mm f/2.4 limited Test Shots
- Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro (non-Di) on Portraits
- Compare Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 and Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 limited
- Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 limited Purchase
- Tamron 28-75mm f/2/8 Portraits
- Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 On Dance Rehearsal
- Hin's Camera Gea