I have been waiting for an opportunity to test out my new used adaptall-2 lens with Tamron SP 80-200mm f/2.8 adaptall-2 30A. It is really a beautiful lens to own. When Oktoberfest in Yahoo! campus was arranged from 4:00pm to 6:00pm. I was all for the event with the 30A zoom. I can't drink any alcohol and beer and wine is not my thing. I felt bored when I got to the festivity. But as soon as I aim my lens at the beer ice chest, Oktoberfest 14th annual mug from Yahoo! and live performance. My enthusiasm was well and alive. Due to the late afternoon, lighting was even but a bit on the dark side, I shot most in f/4.0 to f/5.6 setting. The sharpness and bokeh in the Tamron SP 80-200mm f/2.8 adaptall-2 really did its job wonderful for me. I felt like I have accomplished my task well in finding a manual focus zoom with fast and constant aperture in f/2.8. Bokeh, sharpness and color are quite good in the testing. The lens is a bit on the heavy side. A monopod will come to mind in my next investment.
1/40 sec, f/4.5, 135mm, iso 320, +0.7 Ev
1/40 sec, f/3.2, 150mm, iso 250, 0 Ev
1/100 sec, f/5.0, 180mm, iso 320, +0.3 Ev
1/125 sec, f/5.0, 180mm, iso 320, +0.3 Ev
1/200 sec, f/5.0, 135mm, iso 320, 0 Ev
1/100 sec, f/4.0, 135mm, iso 250, 0 Ev
Impressions & Notes:
- Consistent with my initial impressions, the lens delivers in terms of bokeh, color and sharpness
- Apertures from f/4.0 to f/5.6 in the late evening deliver results that are rich in color and contrast. Bokeh is soft, smooth and seems very pleasant on the green background
- I had a lot of fun shooting live performance in 180mm with a lot of detail in the facial expressions of the performers.
- A bit heavy to use it for a longer duration. A monopod is high on my to-buy list to work with this heavy zoom.
- I don't have its default tripod ring collar and I have no idea how to find its original tripod ring. My 3rd party tripod collar for Canon 70-200mm f/4.0 L lens with 66mm diameter seems to fit but a bit tight to close the screw knob.
- Focus and Zoom ring is very pleasing as noted in my initial impressions
- Zoom makes event photography more fun as excitement and flexibility is right in the zooming to frame the shot with great ease and this adaptall-2 zoom does not disappoint for event photo with emphasis in outdoor setting requiring longer reach. And this zoom lens helps greatly with good bokeh and depth to iron out interesting subjects for portraits and candid.
- Overall a highly recommended adaptall-2 fast zoom lens worth consideration if 80-200mm f/2.8 in a heavy zoom lens speaks in volume to you.