I do wish the Pentax DA* 50-135mm a bit longer for reach. It would have been perfect if the focal range are like Pentax DA 50-200mm f/4.0-5.6. I know I am asking too much. If there is a DA* 50-200mm f/2.8, I would be upgrading. Hope the DA* 60-250mm f/4.0 can come down in price similar to the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8.
Out of all the inexpensive alternative choices with AF, I find Pentax DA 50-200mm f/4.0-5.6 to be the closest choice with AF that resemble the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 and it comes in the lightest package. With 'WR' version in k-7, that would be a closest alternative with weather seal costing a fraction of the DA* zoom.
Impressions & Notes
- The quiet AF from SDM helps in shooting animals in close distance
- AF with AF.S is snappy but I do have previous problems with AF.C where I might have pressed the shutter too early
- In AF.C, I lose the trap focus and I like AF.S for the safety
- Bokeh is nice in the blurry green
- I need to stop down more to see more depth
- Pentax DA 50-200mm f/4.0-5.6
- Vivitar 70-150mm f/3.8 with 2x matched multiplier
- Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 On Puppies
- Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 On Dogs
- Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 Initial Test Shots
- Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 Insanely Good
- Tamron 28-75mm Di Macro f/2.8
- Hin's Camera Gear