I spent my first weekend with Pentax K-x White using my Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5. By default in jpg, noise reduction (NR) is set to Medium and NR kicks in at iso 800 and above. I snapped few pictures while my sweetie took a break in the barber shop where we meet Bear Bear with camera again.
1/80 sec, f/4.0, 37mm, iso 400
My Boys in background
cropped a bit to get closer, some lighting adjustment for backlit
should have brought in an external flash
1/125 sec, f/4.5 wide open, 70mm, iso 400
I will hopefully find time to test the K-x on macro as I wonder if the missing of red dot in obtaining AF will be a problem in K-x. The normal shooting seems an non issue. But in MF, I always rely on the red dot for the position on the flower in close up. I have to see how easy it goes. I tried out the LiveView in K-x and I was disappointed at first with K-x just like my K20D. I later find that LiveView, though slow and loud in AF, actually works quite nicely on overhead shot as in event shooting people from a higher point at a angle pointing downwards. LV may have improved in K-x when compared to K20D.
I don't think you can trust my samples as I do shoot in plain jpg. Here is a shot in iso 6400 with DA 40mm f/2.8 in f/5.0 with default Medium NR
iso 6400, NR default in Medium
I am perhaps really the last person you should ask for test photos. I am never a test chart kind of guy. I despise all the pixel peeping kind of technical details. I shoot pictures the same way as my best friend Javier does on his street_vision. Jpg's are my buddy as I have no time for post processing -- my lame excuses. Just few of the test shots in original high resolution exported into my website for your references. All are shot hand-held with Pentax K-x and DA 40mm f/2.8 limited
The name of the files are pretty much self explanatory. The iso 6400 with medium NR that I posted above is the 5th one with name for
My forum buddy Somanna asked a question about the printing with picture frames. I used my $80 all-in-one printer with Canon mp 360 with Epson utlra-premium paper. This is not something to be followed as I think you can do way better with online printing with smugsmug and other well known places. If you are interested in occasional printing at home, I recommend reading up on Canon MP990 and Canon MP980 types of printers with very good scanning even for 35mm films. A review link from imaging-resource
Impressions & Notes
- Pentax K-x is excellent in high iso noise handling. I can safely trust it to shoot cleanly in iso 3200 and when in doubt needed, I will boldly push it to iso 6400 and rely on post processing to deal with noise
- Details are outstanding in 1600 and good in iso 3200 and manageable in 6400. With my personal experience with K20D which is quite good in noise handling as compared to K10D. I can trust it to be clean up to iso 1600. With K-x, I can count on it to be quite clean in 3200 and subject to later studies, I have confidence in shooting iso 6400 when in doubt the scene dictates the necessity
- The K-x with DA 40mm f/2.8 limited is an ideal combo for traveling light.
- The DA-L lens is quite improved from the 1st version that I used with K100D.
- Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 still stays as my go-to 1 lens choice in walk-around. It works well with the K-x in a small form factor